Saturday, December 12, 2015

Self Dedication


Self Dedication

http://www.americanwiccan.com/selfdedication.html

 

Dedication means just that—dedication.  Acceptance of the Craft as a Path and a vow to study and learn the lore and information to become an adept. This can be very personal, such as for a solitary or eclectic.  Or be very public, such as at a gathering or coven.  When you dedicate yourself to the Craft, it means that you have looked at the Craft, studied, and made a decision to walk the Wiccan Path.  You have completed the Year and a Day.  

Can you really hold your own when questioned about what you have learned?  Are you still unsure about the names and purposes of Deity?  Do you understand that there is much more to learn and that you have only scratched the tip of the iceberg?

altergeshjg.jpgWhen you make your dedication, you let the Lord and Lady know that you welcome them into your life, that you have chosen the craft, that you will follow the Path, and will observe the Wiccan law.  You are making a promise to respect the Lord and Lady.

When you dedicate you take an oath that you will live by the Wiccan Rede.  In Norse mythology, Vár or Vór ('pledge or beloved') is a Goddess associated with oaths and agreements.  And the breaking of an oath brought the gravest dishonor.  In a coven, you usually also promise not to reveal to nonmembers any of the information that you learn about from the coven.

Rede is a word meaning counsel or advice.  It is related with Dutch "Rede" and German Rat/raten.  Today, the word rede is most often used by Neopaganism.  Some use the word to refer to a friend.  The Wiccan Rede is a statement that provides the key moral system in the Neopagan religion of Wicca and certain other related Witchcraft-based faiths.  A common form of the Rede is 'An it harm none, do what ye will'.

For others there is a simple short Pagan Rede.  The Wolf and Raven Tradition created their variation of the Wiccan Rede, called the Pagan Rede. The Pagan Rede is "If you are willing to accept the consequences, do as you will."

 

You can write your own self-dedication ceremony or use the one that follows.  Look at a few other books for ideas, or the Internet.  There’s loads of information about Wicca and Witchcraft out there.  Whatever you do, make your dedication ritual a special time for you.

 

Dedication Ritual

 

1. First decide if this is truly what you want to do.  Look deep within yourself and meditate on the question.  Ask yourself, “Is this the Path I want to walk?”  If you decide that Wicca is truly your calling, you can proceed with your ritual.

 

2. Set up your altar.  To do this, place the following objects on the surface you have chosen to work on:

A pentagram for protection

One silver candle for the Goddess

freyr dkfsoif (1).jpgOne gold candle for the God

One illuminator candle (you will light all the other candles from this one)

One bowl of holy water

One bowl of salt

Your athame

A censer

A candle snuffer

A chalice

A bottle of wine or juice and some cakes

A libation bowl

The words of the dedication that follows (unless you want to improvise what you want to say to the God and Goddess)

 

Use and add what speaks towards your Path.  You will also need a lighter or book of matches to light your illuminator candle and incense.

 

3. Lay out your ritual robe (if you plan to wear one) and your magical jewelry.  A prayer shawl or skyclad (nude) are other options.  This is your time with the Divines, so this is also a good time to turn off phones, cover clocks and block any other distractions. 

 

4. Draw your bath. To the water add …

One tablespoon of sea salt.

A couple of drops of jasmine essential oil.

 

Light your bath candles.  Play meditative music.  Relax.

 

http://www.americanwiccan.com/wpimages/wpa73b5ff4_06.pngBreathe in the essence of the jasmine.  Think about the ritual you will be performing and what it means to you.



Meditate on the changes you will be making within yourself and your life.  Are you ready to face the challenge?  Think about your relationship with the Lord and Lady.  Cleanse your mind as well as your body.

 

5. After bathing, drying, and dressing for the journey you are about to take, go to the altar and prepare your sacred space.

 

6. First consecrate your elements.

 

7. Now take your water and walk the circle deosil (clockwise) and say:

“As I walk this circle round

I cleanse and consecrate this ground.”

 

8. Next sprinkle your salt around the circle and say:

“First with Water then with Earth

1042583516.jpgWith negativity banished there’s joyous rebirth.”

 

9. Take the incense censer and walk the circle saying:

“Next with Fire, then with Air

Leaving us only with purity fair.”

 

10. Take your athame and mark the boundaries of the circle pulling up the circle as you go.

 

11. Stand in front of your altar and light the illuminator candle with a match or lighter.  Welcome the God and Goddess and thank them for coming.

 

12. Begin your Dedication to the Goddess by saying the following:

“Goddess, I stand before you in this sacred place of power.

open my heart to your spirit.

I open my mind to your wisdom.

I dedicate myself to the learning of your mysteries.

I dedicate my life to following the Wiccan path.

O Great Mother, take me into your fold.

Protect me, teach me, heal me, and empower me.

Breathe your spirit in my body and make me complete.

Teach me to see through eyes that are wise.

Teach me to feel through a heart that is compassionate.

Teach me to drink through lips that speak of kindness.

Teach me to hear through ears without prejudice.

Teach me to live in oneness with the Earth.

Great Goddess, Queen of the Craft of the Wise, I come to you as Your [son or daughter] [magical name].

From this day forward I will follow your light and strive to learn the mysteries.”

55156_1464337987_n.jpg

13. Light the silver candle with the flame of the illuminator candle.

 

14. Begin your Dedication to the God by saying the following:

“God, I stand before you in the sacred place of power.

I open my heart to your spirit.

I open my mind to your wisdom.

I dedicate myself to the learning of your mysteries.

I dedicate my life to following the Wiccan path.

O Great Father, take me into your fold.

Protect me, teach me, heal me, and empower me.

Breathe your spirit in my body and make me complete.

Teach me to see through eyes that are wise.

Teach me to feel through a heart that is compassionate.

Teach to drink through lips that speak of kindness.

Teach me to hear through ears without prejudice.

Teach me to live in one with the Earth.

All powerful Lord, consort and protector of the Lady, I come to you as your

[son or daughter] [your magical name].

From this moment forward I will follow your light and strive to learn the mysteries.”

 

http://www.americanwiccan.com/wpimages/wpf741cc74_06.jpg15. Light the gold candle from the illuminator candle.

 

16. Pour the wine in the chalice and get your cakes.

 

17. Before you eat and drink, pour some of the wine and break off some of your cake into the libation bowl for the Lord and Lady.

 

18. Now drink wine, eat the cakes, and reflect on this ritual and how you have taken the first big step in changing your life.

 

19. When you are finished eating and drinking, thank the Lord and Lady for attending your dedication and snuff out the gold candle and the silver candles.

 

20. Take your athame and walk widdershins (counterclockwise) around the circle and to take it down.

 

21. Snuff out your illuminator candle and clean up.  Make sure you take the contents of the libation bowl, the Lord and Lady’s portion of the feast, and give it back to the Earth. Go outdoors and pour it on the ground.

 

Congratulations!  You have dedicated yourself to the Wiccan way of life.  You may have enjoyed reading this dedication ritual, but keep in mind that ritual is primarily designed to be experienced, not read about.  In other words, try it out!

 

"I am Pagan. I am a part of the whole of Nature. The Rocks, the Animals, the Plants, the Elements, and Stars are my relatives. Other humans are my sisters and brothers, whatever their races, colors, genders, sexual orientations, ages, nationalities, religions, lifestyles. Planet Earth is my home. I am a part of this large family of Nature, not the master of it. I have my own special part to play and I seek to discover and play that part to the best of my ability. I seek to live in harmony with others in the family of Nature, treating others with respect.  So may it be!"   ~ Selena Fox

 

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Wicca and Witchcraft

by Denise Zimmermann & Katherine A. Gleason

 
















 

92104174239613_1647991.bmp

No comments:

Post a Comment